Tooth-Colored Composite Fillings
One of the most important things parents can do for their children is to teach them the
value of caring for their oral health right from the start. That includes routine brushing
and flossing, along with regular dental exams and cleanings. Our team at My Kids
Dental Center looks forward to working alongside you to lay the groundwork for healthy,
happy smiles for life.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are dental restorations made of a composite resin material closely resembling the color and shade of your child’s teeth. When in place, the non-toxic material bonds to the natural tooth structure, providing an impenetrable seal between the filling and the tooth.
Composite resin fillings are durable and capable of withstanding normal wear and tear. They can last for many years as long as your child maintains proper oral hygiene practices, including regular tooth brushing and flossing. It’s also important for your child to maintain a nutritious diet and visit a pediatric dentist for periodic dental exams and cleanings.
What Are the Advantages of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings offer numerous benefits, including the following:
- The procedure is quick and painless, with incredibly natural results.
- Unlike silver amalgam fillings with their metallic color, the tooth-colored composite material will blend in seamlessly with your child’s smile.
- White fillings don’t expand and contract like silver fillings, which reduces sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures.
- While tooth-colored fillings are excellent restorations for cavity repair, prevention is the best option. We encourage parents to help their children avoid cavities by reducing sugary foods and beverages, maintaining good oral care habits, and visiting North Phoenix Pediatric Dentistry for their twice-a-year dental exams and cleanings.
- The tooth-colored filling procedure is considered conservative compared to metal fillings because it requires the removal of minimal healthy tooth structure.
- White fillings have zero mercury content and never cause metal allergies.
What Is the Tooth-Colored Filling Procedure?
We will first numb the affected tooth and surrounding area with a local anesthetic. Let us know if your child has dental anxiety or worries about the treatment process. We may recommend a sedation option and will do everything we can to ensure your child is comfortable and free of stress throughout the procedure.
The tooth-colored filling process typically involves removing the decayed portions of the tooth and cleaning and sterilizing the area. Next, we will layer the tooth-colored filling in the space and harden it using a curing light. The last step is shaping and polishing the filling material for optimal comfort, function, and aesthetics. Your child won’t feel pain during the procedure but may feel mild pressure.
After the dental filling procedure, your child’s mouth may feel numb for some time. It’s always a good idea to avoid eating solid foods until the local anesthetic wears off. That helps prevent accidental biting or injury to your child’s tongue or cheeks. If you have any questions or concerns following the procedure, please contact our office.
While tooth-colored fillings are excellent restorations for cavity repair, prevention is the best option. We encourage parents to help their children avoid cavities by reducing sugary foods and beverages, maintaining good oral care habits, and visiting North Phoenix Pediatric Dentistry for their twice-a-year dental exams and cleanings.
Tooth-Colored Fillings Near Me in Phoenix, AZ
If your child requires a tooth-colored filling or if you’d like to schedule a dental exam and cleaning, our kid-friendly team is here to help. We invite you to contact our office at 602-864-1080 to schedule an appointment or request one online today!